Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Note From Cheryl

As the baby of the family and the only girl, my perspective of my Dad may be quite a bit different than that of my three brothers.

Spoiled...probably....moody...definately...made Dad late...not too much.

Okay...My Dad was fairly easy going until it came to being on time and getting a task done right when he said to do it...whatever it was. About the only time I saw him riled up was when I was about to make him late for church or work.

I remember taking a load of makeup, hairspray and the like in the car to finish getting ready for church because we couldn't be late...even though we were always one of the first families to get there. I remember my Dad getting upset "on tape" when we were not moving fast enough in getting the car packed for a trip.

(Footnote on the trip thing...His idea of "getting up at our leasure" was 6:00 a.m. That does not fit into teen time which would fall in the neighborhood of about 1:00 p.m.)

Then there was the time when he was celebrating some landmark anniversary at work and the office was planning a surprise party for him. I was the perfect person to make him late. He was fuming, and my Mom and I were in the bedroom laughing our heads off. He felt kind of sheepish when he found out we were just giving the crew time to get everything ready for the surprise.

All in all though, if there was a merit badge which could be given for putting up with the antics of four children, he would get it.

What other father would go to the store for a panic stricken teenage girl and buy her a comb because hers just wasn't working. In fact, he bought me an assortment just to make sure I was covered. I'm glad he's my Dad...and I'm glad he's loved me all these many years...Thanks Dad.

No comments: