Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Sister Merle

My sister Merle was three years older than I was.

As a little boy I remember fighting with her occasionally. One day I hit her with something and received a stern "boys don't hit girls" message from my mother. My punishment was having to go in the house and let my mother wash or cut my hair, and I hated both! That sounds pretty stupid, I know.

One Christmas I had seen a little steam engine at the toy store, and really wanted it for Christmas (instead of the tools I usually asked for).
Santa Claus brought it (although I never believed in Santa Claus).

I lighted the little alcohol burner, steam built up, and the engine started running! I was so excited! It had a short run. I accidentally knocked it over, it blew up, the alcohol spilled out, started a fire, and Merle's new doll's hair caught fire! She was so mad at me!

Her doll had painted hair under the other hair, so it wasn't a total loss. But, alas, my steam engine never ran again!

In our teen years we became good friends. I even double dated with her a few times.

Another time, I remember a beauty contest was being held at Clovis, New Mexico... nine miles away. Merle won it. She was so very pretty and we were all excited about it.

One day my Dad came to me and asked "Did you know that your sister is going to 'jump over the broomstick'?" That meant that she was engaged to be married. She married in our living room with my Dad officiating.


They lived in White Deer, TX, so we didn't see her very often. I remember when she would visit we were so excited and she nearly always brought gifts of some sort.

My senior year in high school I went to school one day and told everyone I had a niece!

Through the years we visited back and forth at Christmas, vacation time, etc. I always had a good relationship with her.

She died at 85, and we really have missed her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a really cute story. I'll have to tell you that bald dolls can be loved just like "haired" ones!

Anonymous said...

I love your stories!!