Thursday, February 1, 2007

My Courtship with Ann

I had been in the same church with Ann and her late husband for many years, but I had never had a conversation with her.

One evening I attended a "42" party to which Ann had also been invited. I noticed that she was a lot of fun, but still didn't get involved in any conversation with her.

A short time later, I was walking in the local Mall for my usual morning exercise. I saw her approaching me as we walked, so decided to turn and walk with her. We walked around and around the inside of the Mall, laughing and joking all the way! She was fun!

We accidentally met a time or two, walked together, and then meeting at 7:00 a.m. on Monday through Friday became a pattern. She was out of the city during part of December, but my January to May calendar pages are full of dates. Each page has this statement at the top: "Walked with Ann most mornings." The first person to arrive would walk around and around just inside the Mall entrance. I remember how I looked forward to seeing her smiling face. Then we would walk around and around for about two miles, tell each other "goodbye" and go home.

The January calendar had these entries: 17th, "Dinner at Ann's house 6:00 p.m." 26th "Ate supper with Ann (her 78th birthday)." 31st "Took Ann to Half Night of Prayer 6:00 p.m.and to Ann's at 8:00.
She gave me a pecan pie."



February. 4th "To Ann's house for choc. pie 8:00." 14th (Valentine Day). :Date with Ann 5:00 p.m. Steak and Ale." We met some friends coming out of the cafe, and they told us we wouldn't get in without a reservation. We walked in, and were seated immediately. (On our way back to my car, Ann took my arm, and I will never forget the thrill I felt from her touch.) 16th. "Started sitting with Ann in morning services." 17. "Spent evening at Ann's."20th "Hosted, with Ann, 42 party at my house." (She brought the desert.). 22nd. "Watched TV at Ann's house." On the 23'rd I was to have a birthday dinner with my daughter's family at Steak and Ale. I didn't tell them I was bringing Ann. My daughter was surprised, but gave Ann a big hug, and we had a great time.

Later that day, Ann left town to babysit a new great-granddaughter. She would leave on Sunday and come back on Friday. This continued through March, and I saw Ann regularly on the weekends. During the week we would call and write each other. The granddaughter with whom she was staying became vitally interested in our romance, and would say such things in the evening as "Did he call?" "Did you get a letter?"

Late in March, she discontinued baby sitting, and I saw her nearly every day of the week--at her house, my house, at parties, at church.

On April 26, I asked Ann to marry me! We called all our kids and told them! We purchased the rings on May 2, and married in front of the fireplace in her living room on May26. Our pastor, Dr. D. L. Lowrie performed the ceremony. About 40 people attended, with standing room only. We had the reception at our house.

We didn't have a formal honeymoon, but just beginning our life together in her home was all the h0honeymoon we needed.

This was a whirlwind romance, but we had a great marriage!

If I did something that offended her, I would apologize, and almost immediately she would end it with saying "I'm sorry I was ugly."

Following heart surgery, she died on the day after our 7th anniversary. The church auditorium was packed for her funeral. She was dearly beloved by all!

1 comment:

someone else said...

How wonderful to have had two such happy marriages in your life. My mother died many years ago and my dad remarried. After my Dad died 4 years ago, my stepmother made the comment to me that she had been so blessed. She had been loved and adored by two wonderful husbands in her life. It sounds like you have been blessed, as well.