Friday, January 5, 2007

Preacher's Kid

As I said in the previous post, Ephesians 4:29-32 has become my goal at this juncture of my life. When I think back over my 89 years, I can see clearly my life has been filled with miracle after miracle.

These miracles will be the subject of this post and many posts to come.

The first miracle, was being born to Christian parents who stayed married until my mother's death in 1949. I was born in the church-owned "parsonage". My father was pastor of First Baptist Church, Panhandle, Texas. If they gave perfect attendance certificates in the Cradle Roll back then, I would have had one.

Even though I was a preacher's kid, I wasn't perfect. Here's one of those P.K. stories.

My parents walked to church from the parsonage. One day...I have been told...I misbehaved in church so on the way home, my Mother broke off a little switch from a tree and spanked my little legs all the way home. Mother's strongest language was "that just provokes me." When she said that, it was time to shape up!

2 comments:

Perri said...

I remember my own grandmother making me go get my own switch from the weeping willow tree. I think the going after it hurt as much as the whippin'

Anonymous said...

"that just provokes me" was strong language?! i can tell she was quite a lady. maybe i'll say that to my kids the next time i'm provoked and see what their reaction is...!

well, maybe not. maybe i'd have to make sure they knew the meaning of 'provoke' first.