Sunday, January 7, 2007

Generations Preserved

When I picked up today's paper and I found the headline "America at War", I was reminded of another miracle in my life and family.

My grandfather served in the Civil War.
My late wife's father served in World War I.
I served in World War II.
One of my sons was called to active duty due to
the Berlin crisis.
Another son was drafted during the Vietnam War.
A granddaughter volunteered for the Iraq War.
-
Due to a job transfer to another city, I missed being recalled for duty in the Korean War when the reserve unit for which I had been commnding officer was activated.

The miracle? Seven wars, five generations.
After a short recovery time for the three who were injured or wounded, all were able to resume their previous careers or start new ones.




6 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Thank you, sir, for serving and defending our country. May God continue to bless America. And thank you for serving our God. Your children thank you, and your grandchildren thank you. You are running the race. You are finishing the course. We serve an amazing God!

Tammy said...

I'm visiting from your daughter's blog...
What an incredible legacy your family has! And I also thank you for fighting for our freedom during WWII.

I'm in my early 40's and have two small children, but my father was of your generation. He was unable to serve due to being 4F, but lost his best friend in the battle of Ioa Gima. I've been facinated by this time in our history and have the upmost respect for those who served.

And of course, everyone who served throughout the decades to defend our country.

I think it is wonderful that someone with your years of wisdom can share like this through the internet.
My mother is 79 and also has a blog. We can learn so much from the generations before us!

God bless you!

savvycityfarmer said...

I am again amazed at your wisdom and tenacity...farmgirlcyn said it best...you are finishign the course...

rena said...

What a great legacy!
I'm visiting from your daughter's blog. She's one of my favorite daily reads and visits! Your comments on the scripture in Eph are very well said...words to live by!

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful to you and to your amazing family for your willingness to serve our country. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad how's things?