Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Sister Stella Mae

In early February, 1926, some ladies from First Baptist Church brought some baby clothes and other things, and gave my mother a baby shower. On February 26 my sister Stella Mae was born. I made the remark, "What a coincidence, I have a new baby sister and mother already has clothes for her." I had no idea that my mother was pregnant, and had not yet been told the "facts of life."

We certainly welcomed Stella Mae! She was a doll! She had gorgeous red hair, and mother always dressed her so cute! I remember a studio-made a little girl picture of her that hung on our living room wall--what a beautiful young lady!

Stella and I always got along well with each other. I don't remember any time when we had a serious disagreement.

I lived in the same home with her from her from birth until she was 13. I frequently took her to school in the mornings as I went to work. One day I was taking her and her girl friend to school, and my car was struck from the right in an intersection collision. The horn on the other car activated and kept honking! My young passengers started screaming! Fortunately, no one was injured, but it was an event that Stella and I never forgot!

Recently Stella gave me a picture of me, my wife, and our first son. She told me that it was taken by our mother as we were ending out visit. Stella told me that she went back in the living room after we left, and cried because she didn't think she would ever see my son as a baby again. She has always been tenderhearted, and loved family visits!

We kept in touch through the years with periodic visits back and forth. These were fun occasions!

Now, I am blessed to be living in the same city with her. We call each other nearly every day, keep up with the latest family news, and express our love for each other.

3 comments:

savvycityfarmer said...

You're melting me now!

Anonymous said...

I hope my son feels the same way about his sister when he is 89!

Anonymous said...

hey papa-its your grandaughter whitney!!! i realllly like reading your blog, so keep doing it, i hear you're now officially all into it like my mom. Matt and i have a house that we are moving into this weekend, so once we get moved in you must come over for dinner. ok? i love you tons and tons,
whitney