Friday, January 19, 2007

The Miracle of Education

Although sometimes stressful, my education experiences have been extremely positive times in my life!

I entered first grade at Farwell, TX. My teacher was Miss Antoinette Stamps. Her sister, Julia, was my second grade teacher for a little over half of the term. Then we moved to Raymondville, and Mrs. Hunter became my teacher.

I was promoted to the third grade. A week or two into that year my father decided it was too easy for me. He asked the school to promote me to the fourth grade. They gave him dire warnings that missing the third grade could have negative effects on my life later. (I tell my acquaintances that if they observe anything weird about me, it was because I skipped the third grade.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the fourth grade under Miss Bader's teaching.

Mrs. Pittman, in the fifth grade, was a tough lady, but I loved her.

In the middle of the fifth, my family moved back to Farwell, where I finished the grade.

I had my first man teacher in the sixth grade at Muleshoe, TX--Mr. Boone.

Back to Farwell, I entered the seventh, and was valedictorian, giving the valedictory speech at the graduation ceremony.

For my freshman and sophomore years, I attended Texico High School, just across the state line in this twin-cities location. There I experienced my first "hazing". I was a little bit of a rebel at times (especially in my vocational agriculture class under Mr. Young). Three months into my sophomore year I decided to add typing to my class schedule. That was a very smart move! By the end of the year I was typing with a higher speed and accuracy than all but one typing student. Typing skills continue to pay off for me!

Some of my friends were transferring from Texico High School to Farwell High School for their junior year to play football, and I decided to follow them. Although I didn't play football, the move was positive. I loved my classes, and played the leading male role in the senior play my junior year. This enabled me to get to go on the senior trip to Carlsbad Caverns.

I was not an "athlete," but I played a little basketball my senior year.

I was declared valedictorian of my class, and made the valedictory speech at graduation. To my surprise at the ceremony, I was given the "Best All Around Student" award. My name was engraved on a "loving cup," which is still displayed at the school.

Being made valedictorian enabled me to have nine months of free tuition when I entered Texas Technological College in the fall of 1934.

After moving to Lubbock, TX the day after graduation, I was able to get a job at the college as a secretary in the Division of Extension. I worked 24 hours a week the first year, 45 hours a week for the next three years, and for my last year I worked as a student assistant in the Department of Economics and Business Administration, my major department.

My BBA degree in 1939 enabled me to get a job with the federal Social Security Board, where I worked for 39 years, including two years as a U. S. Navy officer toward the end of WW II.

Feeling that God was calling me to become a Christian counselor, I retired from that job and returned to Texas Tech to get a master's degree in counseling.`

After getting my Master of Education degree, I enrolled for the doctoral program, and received a Doctor of Education degree in December, 1981.

My friends and mentors during graduate school were Rev. Mike Horton, Minister of Family Life, at First Baptist Church, and Dr. H. P. Pender at Texas Tech University's College of Home Economics.

While in graduate school, I worked part time in the church's counseling center.

Shortly after graduate school, Mike Horton left for a counseling position in Houston, and I was asked to fill in until the church could get another minister of family life. Since I was nearly 65, hiring me for a full time position did not fit in with church policy. I was given a one year position, and at the end of the year a decision would be made about further employment.

After working there ten years, I retired to take care of my wife, Mildred, who had become ill.

My education enabled me to become a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and I still continue to practice.

The miracle of education continues to pay off--not in money, as I make no charge for my services now, but in the satisfaction of helping others, especially couples, to start and continue happy marriages! I have a new couple scheduled to start premarital counseling later this month.

I praise the Lord for enabling me to get the education I needed to do what He called me to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be able to do what God intended is so cool. I'm glad you made the decision to follow His leading!

George said...

I enjoyed reading about my Dad's educational experiences. Falsely I have assumed that Dad was always "grown-up."